Introducing “March Appness,” a competition where the most favored communication tools compete for one title. The winner takes the elite title of the overall best communication strategy used in public safety to reach citizens. Here are the contenders:
- Landline– It has a historical background, but will it evolve like other competitors?
- SMS Texting and Voice Calling- Combined, the two communication tools act as the chosen approach for notifying citizens instantly. How will they manage rising opponents that incorporate their same strategy?
- Email– It’s convenient and quick, but is it the best strategy to reach everyone?
- Social Media– With an emphasis on staying connected with residents, this method becomes increasingly more popular, but is it the most effective?
- Smartphone App– The newest take on citizen communication, how will it overcome competition from the older methods?
- Sirens– A traditional take on emergency communication, but how does it compare to new technology?
- Mass Notification Systems– This is the standard for many universities and cities, but will their “opt in” method and it’s price withstand competition?
- Newspapers- It’s always been a prevalent source of communication, but with a recent decline due to a digital shift in news, will it prevail?
The purpose in this competition is to analyze our competitors and their strategies in reaching citizens quickly and effectively. In any competition there are new and old contenders, “The Smartphone App” may be an emerging technology, but follow along as we explore its benefits in the midst of facing competition.